Expectations and Guidelines
Expectations for Use of Student Laptop/Chromebook Computers
- Students are responsible for the appropriate use of laptop/chromebook computers both at school and at home. Laptop/chromebook computers are for the use of students for educational purposes only.
- Laptops/chromebooks are expected to be returned as received, except for normal wear and tear as determined by the District, at the conclusion of each year, or when requested by the Northwestern Lehigh School District.
- School Board Policy 815.1: Use of District - Owned Technology, School Board Policy 815.2: Use of District Network and Internet, and apply to all students, regardless of location. ,
- The assignment and use of a laptop/ chromebook computer is considered to be a privilege. Inappropriate use or neglect of a laptop/chromebook computer, case, charger, the Internet and/or any installed software could result in the loss of laptop/chromebook privileges. Loss of privileges will not change classroom expectations and/or assignment completion.
- The laptop/chromebook is owned by the Northwestern Lehigh School District and assigned to students, enrolled on a full-time basis. Students have no expectation of privacy as related to the laptop/chromebook, Internet, and/or installed software.
- All commercial, illegal, unethical and inappropriate use of laptop/chromebook computers is expressly prohibited.
- Violations will be subject to discipline as outlined in the Northwestern Lehigh School District Code of Conduct.
General Laptop Guidelines
- Laptops/chromebook may never be left unattended. Students are responsible for the laptop/chromebook, charger, and sleeve/case at all times.
- Laptops/chromebooks and the charger/cord must be carried in the District-provided protective sleeve at all times. They may not be placed directly into a backpack or other bag not designed for laptop protection.
- School identification must remain on the laptop/chromebook, charger, and case/sleeve.
- Students may not use the laptops/chromebook on buses or in automobiles.
- If the student is unable to carry and supervise his/her laptop/chromebook, it is to be locked in the student’s assigned locker.
- The carrying cases provided to students have handles - students are to hang their laptops in their lockers/chromebook, not lay them in the bottom of the locker.
- Stickers are not allowed on laptop/chromebook carrying cases or on the machine itself - students may decorate their laptop if the laptop is covered with a hard case.
- Food and drink should not be used near the laptop/chromebook.
- It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that their laptop/chromebook is fully charged upon arriving to school each day.
- Students are not guaranteed that there will be a location or time during the day to charge his or her laptop/chromebook computer.
Charger and cord must be carried in the laptop/chromebook sleeve or bag at all times.
- Students may take their laptops/chromebooks to the Tech Support Office for cleaning of the track pad and/or screen.
- Do not spray cleaning solution directly on the laptop/chromebook. Spray it on a cleaning wipe to use on the laptop/chromebook.
- Use only the cleaning solutions supplied by the Technology Department on your laptop/chromebook.