The Northwestern Lehigh School District requires all students to complete Agreement for Laptop/Chromebook Use (Version A) and to pay the Insurance Premium if they wish to take the device off campus. Students that do not pay the fee are not permitted to remove the laptop from the building. The District is self-insuring all laptop computers. This annual premium covers the laptop or chromebook ONLY, not the accessories (charger and case).
Form for take home use
$20 (full year)
$50 (full year)
1st incident - $25
2nd incident - $30
3rd incident - $35
Loss or Theft - $100
1st incident - $50
2nd incident - $75
3rd incident -$90
Loss or Theft -$250
The deductible is charged for each incident and is in addition to the annual premium payment.
Families who participate in the Free and Reduced Lunch Program will have the option to forgo the insurance cost yet still have the laptop computer covered under the insurance agreement; however, families in the Free and Reduced lunch program will be required to pay the deductible for each damage claim and will be required to pay for each theft or loss claim.
Payment for insurance premium is required at the time the device is issued to the student. Parents/guardians/students must bring a check or money order (payable to Northwestern Lehigh School District) to receive the laptop or chromebook.
Parents/guardians not choosing to allow your child to take the device home must complete Agreement for Laptop/Chromebook Use (Version B) are encouraged to purchase the insurance to cover in-school use claims on the computer. If a student does not have insurance and the laptop/chromebook is lost, stolen or damaged while in that student’s control, the District reserves the right to hold the parents/guardians responsible for full replacement or repair cost.
Parents/guardians may not substitute homeowner or other personal insurance for District insurance.
1. Damage – pays for damage to the laptop/chromebook on school property or at another location, such as at home.
2. Accidental Damage – pays for accidental damage caused by liquid spills, drops, falls, or collisions. An accident will be determined by administration. One accidental damage per student allowed during the course of a student’s enrollment at Northwestern Lehigh School District.
3. Theft – pays for loss or damage of laptop/chromebook due to theft; the claim requires an official copy of the police report. One theft per student allowed during the course of a student’s enrollment at Northwestern Lehigh School District.
4. Fire – pays for the loss or damage of the laptop/chromebook due to fire; the claim must be accompanied by an official fire report from the investigating authority.
5. Electrical Surge – pays for the damage of the laptop/chromebook due to an electrical surge.
6. Natural Disasters – pays for loss caused by natural disasters.
- Negligent, Dishonest, Fraudulent, Intentional, or Criminal Acts: Will not pay if damage or loss due to negligent, dishonest, fraudulent, intentional, or criminal acts.
- Vandalism – Insurance will not cover damage or loss due to vandalism.
- Laptop/Chromebook Accessories – sleeve and charger loss or damage are not covered by insurance.
Examples include, but are not limited to: unattended laptop in an unlocked automobile, lying on the damage reporting form, not carrying the laptop in a protective case, not reporting damages on time, vandalism to the laptop, unauthorized download that causes damage to the laptop, broken cord on the charger.
The following scenarios are provided to help students and families better understand the financial obligation associated with insurance claims. This is a sample list and in no way represents a complete list of possible scenarios:
The District reserves the right for final determination of all insurance claims.
Small repair (i.e. damaged keys, cracked topcase)
Incident deductible or the cost of the repair, whichever is less
Large repair (i.e. cracked screen)
Loss or Theft Insurance deductible, with police report
Hard drive crash / Manufacturer defect
Warranty issue during Year 1 warranty
After 1 Year warranty - insurance deductible
Damaged charger or cord
Not covered by Insurance - replacement paid to District for Replacement Power Adapter
Macbook air: $79.00
Consent to Participate
By returning the Agreement for Laptop Use form, you provide permission for your child to receive a District-issued laptop computer. Bring the appropriate completed Agreement form and insurance premium to school. A laptop computer, case and charger will be distributed to students during the set distribution times outlined below.
- Please sign and return Agreement for Laptop/Chromebook (Version A) if you are purchasing the District insurance, which permits your child to use the laptop at school and at home.
- If your child will only be permitted to use the laptop computer at school, please sign and return Agreement for Laptop/Chromebook (Version B).
- Signing either agreement indicates that your child agrees to abide by School Board Policy 815: Acceptable Use of Technology and Electronic Resources, School Board Policy 815.1: Use of District - Owned Technology, School Board Policy 815.2: Use of District Network and Internet, and School Board Policy 224: Care of School Property, and the Responsibility for Use of Laptop/Chromebook and Expectations and Guidelines for Use of Student Laptop/Chromebook Computers pertaining to the safe keeping and use of computers.
Refusal to Consent
In the event you or your child refuse to sign either form, your child will receive a District-issued laptop/chromebook computer for in-school use only. The laptop/chromebook will not be allowed to be taken off campus. Students will be required to pick up their device each morning and to turn in their laptop/chromebook before leaving school each day. Parents/Students will be responsible for repairs to the laptop if you choose not to buy insurance.