- Stories are grouped by theme:
- The stories are read in class and may be assigned for homework as a reread. The story reread can be done independently or shared with an adult. Reviewing story elements as you read helps with comprehension. (setting, characters, story problem, events, solution)
- Vocabulary, comprehension, story retelling, and speaking activities are incorporated into instruction with each story.
- Students will read stories and complete activities using leveled texts. Students will be grouped with others on similar levels.
- Flexible grouping will be used and the groups may change throughout the year depending on need.
- The groups will be teacher lead.
Writing (Expressive, Language/Grammar, Spelling)
- Writers Workshop is our main instruction technique where students will be using a folder to keep their writing pieces.
- Editing skills, grammar, and spelling are all practiced with Daily Language Activities (DLA).
- Spelling tests will be given weekly.
- Handwriting instruction will be taught throughout the year.