Homework is a crucial element for a student's success at all grade levels. Northwestern Lehigh's policy for 4th grade is for students to complete approximately 30-60 minutes of homework per night (as referenced in the Student/Parent Handbook).
Some tips for success with homework:
- Find a quiet space to work.
- Sit with your child while he/she completes the work. It is okay to provide guidance! (This is an invaluable opportunity to stay informed about what your child is learning and how he/she is progressing with assigned tasks.)
- Have YOUR CHILD place all completed assignments in the RETURN side of the Homework Folder. Students should develop the responsibility to do this (with parental guidance).
- Place any notes or lunch money envelopes in the RETURN side of the Homework Folder.
- Empty and review any papers on the KEEP side every night.
- In addition to the nightly homework assignments, I STRONGLY encourage you to have your child read and practice math facts (especially multiplication and division) EVERY NIGHT (well, almost every nightJ). A little bit of practice each night GREATLY helps your child learn to read and master math facts.
- ALL homework assignments are expected to be completed and returned the next day (unless otherwise stated).
- I do understand that some unexpected events happen in the evening and homework is difficult to complete. If this occurs, please write me a note and I will allow homework to be completed the next night. I understand "life happens!"
- If a student starts to repeatedly forget/not turn in homework, he/she will need to miss recess until all assignments are completed.