What First Graders Learn
LANGUAGE ARTSOur language arts series is Journeys by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. This is a comprehensive program which includes whole group reading and small group reading, as well as, phonemic awareness, phonics, spelling, grammar, and writing. There are 6 units and 5 themes in each unit. Each theme includes a new story (large and small group) and a new spelling list. Writing is a component of our daily routine.
Students learn many math skills and strategies throughout 1st grade. The main concepts are ...
- Understanding Addition
- Understanding Subtraction
- Five and Ten Relationships
- Addition and Subtraction Facts to 12
- Addition Facts to 20
- Subtraction Facts to 20
- Counting and Number Patterns to 120
- Tens and Ones
- Comparing and Ordering Numbers to 100
- Adding with Tens and Ones
- Subtracting with Tens and Ones
- Using Data to Answer Questions
- Fractions of Shapes
Weather - seasons, kinds of weather, sunlight, wind
Plants - parts of plants, seeds, what plants need to grow
Ecology- recycling, conservation, pollution
Health and Safety- parts of the body and their functions, food and nutrition, ways to stay healthy
Building a Classroom and School Community
Holidays and Traditions
Where We Live
Work! Work! Work!