Attendance and Absence Policies
To Excuse an Absence -
- When a student is absent from school, a written legal excuse (signed by a parent or guardian) is required.
- Parents/Guardians are encouraged to submit absence excuses through the Sapphire Parent Portal
- Once you are in your student's portal page, choose "Student Data Forms" on the lefthand side of the screen
- Choose "Student Absence Excuse" and complete this form for your student's absence
- Written excuses can still be handed in to a student's Block 1 teacher or to the Attendance Office secretary.
- Students who attend Lehigh Career Technical Institute are expected to return a separate excuse to LCTI for their absences.
- If excuses are not received within three school days, the day will be recorded as unlawful (ages under 18) or unexcused (ages 18+).
Late Arrival/Early Dismissal -
- A written request from the parent or guardian must be presented to the assistant principal stating the reason for an early dismissal or late arrival
- Please note: A physician’s excuse stating that the student was seen at the attending physician’s office is required upon the student’s return to school.
- Official physician and dental appointment cards will be honored
- This request must be submitted prior to first period on the day of the appointment.
- Parental notes for doctor excuses must include a date and time of appointment.
- Students who arrive after 9:16 A.M. will be considered absent for one half (1/2) day.
- Students leaving school before 1:07 P.M. will be considered absent for one half (1/2) day.
- As a result of new state regulations, students attending less than 50% (arrival after 10:36 A.M. – departure before 11:51 A.M.) of the instructional day will be recorded as a “Partial Day” which will count as a full day of absence. The following attendance codes have been added: PAE – Partial Excused and PAU - Partial Unexcused
Excused Absences - The following reasons, as found in Chapter 11 – Pupil Attendance – of the Regulations of the State Board of Education of Pennsylvania, are the only reasons for an approved temporary absence from school:
- Required court attendance
- Death in the immediate family
- Violent weather
- Educational tours and trips
- State emergency
- Health care by a licensed physician
- Family Emergency (so designated by the school administration)
Late to School (Tardy) -
- If a student arrives at school after 7:45 AM, the student must sign-in at the attendance office and will be marked as being tardy to school
- Students may arrive tardy to school twice without disciplinary consequences
- A third tardy will result in a warning and a fourth will result in appropriate disciplinary action
- Lateness due to illness must be verified by parental or physician note only
- Entry to school after 9:16 AM constitutes a ½ day absence
- Leaving school before 1:07 PM constitutes a ½ day absence