Northwestern Lehigh School District is proud to offer full-day kindergarten in both of our elementary schools, starting in the 2018-19 school year.
Kindergarten is a wonderful time in a child's life, filled with opportunities to learn, play, discover, and grow. For many students, kindergarten is their first formal educational experience. We want this year to be filled with fun and exciting activities that will place students on the path of successful learning and personal development. Our kindergarten students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences, which is what makes each of them unique and special. We understand that children develop at different academic, social, and emotional rates, and our full-day kindergarten classrooms offer support based on each individual child's needs. Please take a moment to learn more about what our full-day kindergarten program has to offer.
Northwestern Lehigh School District Full-Day Kindergarten Vision/Mission/Goals - Approved by the NWL School Board May, 2018
Northwestern Lehigh School District’s kindergarten program is a child-centered, developmentally appropriate, integrated program of learning. The purpose of the program is to establish a strong foundation for learning in the early years and to do so in a safe and nurturing, play-based environment that promotes the physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development of all children.
The primary goals of our kindergarten program are:
- to establish a strong foundation for learning in the early years;
- to help children make a smooth transition from home, child care, or preschool settings to school settings;
- to allow children to reap the many proven benefits of learning through relationships, play, and inquiry;
- to set children on a path of lifelong learning and nurture competencies such as problem-solving, creativity, collaboration, and communication that they will need to thrive in the world of today and tomorrow.
The Northwestern Lehigh School District’s kindergarten program reflects the belief that kindergarten students are capable and competent learners, full of potential and ready to take ownership of their learning. It approaches children as unique individuals who live and learn within families and communities. Based on these beliefs, and with knowledge gained from research and proven in practice, our kindergarten program:
- supports the creation of a learning environment that allows all children to feel confident in applying their individual ways of thinking and learning through choice;
- is built on expectations that are challenging yet attainable;
- allows students to demonstrate their knowledge and/or skills through a variety of authentic learning opportunities
- is flexible enough to respond to individual differences;
- provides every child with the kind of support he or she needs in order to develop:
- health, well-being, and a sense of security;
- emotional and social competence;
- curiosity, creativity, choice and confidence in learning;
- respect for diversity;
- engagement and ongoing dialogue within the school and with families about their children’s learning and development.